Most of the advertisements on TV, newspaper, magazines, or any other articles use direct response copywriting. With the help of direct response copy, they achieve the target of getting sales or getting an immediate response from their audience or customers.
Direct response copywriting is a process of persuasive writing with an intent of driving an Action.
It is the best advertising technique for an instant Call to Action. Many advertising agencies and big brands use this technique and attract lots of people to make strong calls to action.
What is direct response copywriting?
Direct response copywriting is the process of making your audience take immediate action or to give an immediate response on a sales copy or an advertisement.
In other words, Direct response copywriting is the way to make your audience take immediate action like buying a product, taking a subscription, or for instant donation.
Its ultimate aim is to convey to the customer for taking an immediate response or taking a strong call to action (CTA) on your advertising or article.
The aim of direct response copywriting may vary from ads to ads and it depends upon the type of product you are selling or the types of advertising you are doing.
In some cases, you can’t make the audience take an immediate call to action (CTA), but you can make them remember about your product for future sales by a good direct response copywriting.
Hence the aim of direct response copywriting depends on your targeted audience or customers and the type of product you are selling.
How Direct response copywriting Helps increasing Sales?
If you are promoting your products online or doing Affiliate Marketing[ promoting other people’s products ] and facing problems in increasing sales. Then you can get a lot of benefits from learning Direct response copywriting.
While promoting your products online you cannot directly communicate to your customer the only best possible way to convince your customer to buy your product is through your copy.
Writing a killer copy is not a piece of cake, the only way to learn how to write a killer copy is by practicing and writing more. And once you learned how to write killer copy you can easily convince your prospect to buy your product.
The 4P’s Formula of Direct Response Copywriting
Direct response marketing and are headline-driven what Eugene Schwartz said in his book breakthrough advertising if the sole purpose of the headline, is to get them to read this part down here which is the dead copyright and that’s going to be your leader and after that which is your promise.
- Promise and that is the headline, there’s no one better headline with a promise. The heading is the most important part of your copy and it is very important that your heading should contain a Promise. This is the one that was big with Gary Halbert, he has written one of the greatest sales headlines and has also stated some proven formulas to write a perfect headline.
- Picture, In other words, he’s really painting this picture on to make a really desired product, and if this is what you want to do, then you need to read every bit of this sales letter, and he’s painting, a series of picture about what this is, and that is your lead-in, and that is key number two, really strong leader because remember we caught their attention with the headline and the dead copy, and it really got their attention. Now, this picture is why this picture really sucks to me because it’s everything they want to show images if you want to live in a luxury lifestyle, these things would be like, imagine yourself living in
- Proof is not just the testimonials but any kind of fact that validates your product. It could be any doctor recommendation or any scientific research and obviously, testimonials are the best.
- Push your reader to make a purchase by giving them a clear Call-To-Action. Don’t confuse your audience with multiple CTA Buttons instead add one clear action such as “Buy Now”. If you have implemented the above 3 actions clearly, then this will definitely boost your sales conversions.
Why Direct Response Copywriting ?
It’s Result Oriented – Direct Response Copywriting is directly result oriented as you will notice an increase in your sales. Your Sales page conversion percentage will automatically increase.
It Encourages Action – it involves a lot of study and research about your ideal customer. Which help to write in such a way that it instantly encourage the customer to take an action.
It’s Personal as it tells a personal story and connects with the customers. It speaks directly to the customer and clearly answers What is in there for him.
It’s Creates A Connection as Direct Response Copywriting is all about connecting with your customers and fit the product exactly by the need of customer.
Direct response copywriting jobs
This field is very unique and has a lot of opportunities for jobs or to build your career in it.
Copywriting is mostly used in banners, billboards, brochures, catalogs, jingle lyrics, magazine and newspaper advertisements, sales letters and direct mail, scripts for television or radio commercials, taglines, white papers, social media posts.
Nowadays most companies or brands want to increase their reach and generate more sales. For this purpose, they are always in search of good direct response copywriters who can make their customers take immediate action on their advertisement.
The main recruiters in the direct response copywriting field are the TV advertisers, newspaper advertisers, or some big brands who are willing to hire a direct response copywriter to increase their brand’s reach through advertisements.
As a copywriter, you can get jobs in
● Advertising Agencies
● Public relations firms
● Copywriting Agencies
● News Agencies
● Digital Marketing Agencies
● Brand marketing
● Financial copywriter
● Facebook ads campaign
● Google ads campaign
As a copywriter, you can work in different niches like finance, tech, gadgets, cars, foods, clothes, fashion, smartphones, electronics, furniture, etc. It is advisable to work in the niche that you are interested in or familiar with as a beginner. As you get experience you can also do jobs in other niches.
Direct response copywriting salary
As is mentioned earlier, copywriting is a skillful job, and the salary in a copywriting job depends on your skill and work.
In a direct response copywriting job you will not get much salary as a beginner. The average salary of a beginner in a copywriting job is around $25,000 – $30,000 per annum.
As your experience grows your salary also increases. With good skills and good experience in this field, you can earn a good 6 figure salary per annum. The average salary of senior direct response copywriters is around 70,000$ – 75,000$.
Direct response copywriting freelancing
Direct response copywriting is also a good skill for freelancing. There are many freelancing projects of copywriting are available on various freelancing platforms like freelancer, Fiverr, Upwork, etc.
You can make a decent 6 figures salary from freelancing through copywriting. If your work is good you can also get a book project through freelancing or even if a company likes your work, you will also get hired to that company.
Direct response copywriting courses
Now you have a good idea of what is direct response copywriting, what are its jobs, salary, etc but now the question arises how and from where to learn these copywriting skills.
if you are a reader then there are so many books on copywriting for beginners by the world’s most prestigious authors which you can read. But if not, then don’t worry here is the list of some of the best platforms to learn direct response copywriting.
There are many courses available on Udemy or Coursera which will help you to learn direct response copywriting and also provides the professional certification for completion which you can attach to your Linkedin profile or your resume.
You can also learn copywriting from youtube. Many copywriters, authors, and digital marketers are teaching copywriting on YouTube. If you are not much familiar with the English language there are also a lot of courses available on YouTube in the Hindi language.
But, as I mentioned earlier that copywriting is a skill, you will learn more by yourself by doing more and more work and seeing the other’s work. With the experience, you will learn a lot of new things. So try to learn yourself also as it will help you to understand your pros and cons.
Direct response copywriting books
The other most convenient way to learn direct response copywriting is by reading books. Learning from books will provide you ample knowledge about copywriting and you will also get to know about the experiences of various authorities in the field of direct response copywriting.
Click to read about 9 Best Copywriting books for beginners
Some of the famous books for direct response copywriting are:
● “Breakthrough Advertising” by Eugene Schwartz
● “Ogilvy on Advertising” by David Ogilvy
● “My Life in Advertising & Scientific Advertising” by Claude Hopkins
● “Tested Advertising Methods” by John Caples
● “Copy Logic” by Michael Masterson & Mike Palmer
● “The Advertising Secrets of the Written Word” by Joseph Sugarman
● “The Elements of Style” by Strunk and White (and Pearson)
● “Orbiting the Giant Hairball” by Gordon McKenzie
Hope you have understood what is direct response copywriting, what are the jobs and salary of direct response copywriting or the best course or book to learn direct response copywriting. If you have any other queries you can ask us in the comment section.
Thank you so much for reading!